Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone All my dreams, pass before my eyes, a curiosity. Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind . Dust in the Wind. Kansas.

Time. Each day I wake up, make my play, and pray I wake up for another day. Not so much pray because I don't actually believe in a particular God. But more like hope nothing unexpected happens because I'd hate it if that happened. And a more than a few days have passed since I last cheched in.

I've actually written about 6 blog entries since my last published, but didn't publish. A couple of drunk mad rants here...a couple of heart felt epiphanies here...all deleted. I used to write as if only I would read what was written, neive I know. But the last year I knew if a tree fell in the forrest that someone would hear, and I didn't want anyone to hear. So now I'm back from my vacation. It actually took me a few tries to rememeber my user name and my password. I have random assortment of each and it took more than a few tries to get back in to my thought print out.

Lately I've had a certain feeling. Don't know where to start to close the gap between this year and last so how about a shot gun blast?

-I had a show last week. Three months ago Tito Leny asked me to help out for a show. Of course I said yes. He's asked this from me many times before. But usually it's to fill in for a cotillion that he's been teaching and 4 guys have dropped out at the last min and he needs a replacement who chan learn the coriagraphy of the last 3 months in 2 days. No worries, I've done it like 3 times before. The last time was when I was getting texts and e-mails when I was living in Hawaii about 6 years ago. I look at Marc as my little brother so that makes tito Len as kinda my dad. "Yes" I said. And then a time passed and I forgot about it. About a month ago I get a phone call. I was so hung over that I thought the phone call from 'tita Let' was Erica's mom talking about her wedding I was going to miss because I would be in NY for my cousins wedding. About 20 mins into the convo I figured out 'Tita Let' was Marcs mom reminding me of the show I had committed to. My first reaction was to punk out. A month before a show I hadn't even read the script for or practiced for. Two words. Unprofessional. Unprepared. But the word that stuck in my head after all...loyalty.

A month previous KP did a show for the COJCOLDS (thanks Put, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints) and we performed with a bunch of older performers...I thought that was what was going to happen again the momment of that phone call. I read the scene outline and I was thinking WTF this is fricken amature hour. But I committed. Marc (0f course because of his parents) committed. So MOFO I suppose I'm commited. My first practice with them my heart sunk. The two months from when I heard of the project till I was atually involved was spent teaching the Senior Citizens how to dance and teaching a new batch of young dancers. When I saw them...whats the kareoke equivelent to dancing? Tito Len had prepared me for the worst and he basically asked me, as a professional dancer, to fire these four old ladies. I think Tito Len had anticipated me and Marco's reaction to performing with a bunch of amatures. I was doing my thing after they had performed for me, I didn't know that at the time, and I saw 8 old ladies looking at me hopeing not to get kicked out of the show. Tito Len pulled me aside and asked me to fire these sweet old ladies. It looked on his face that he was embarassed to present me with "kareoke" dancers that had the gaul to share a stage with me. My reaction was "Weird question, they looked pretty good to me, I think they should all dance." and they all rushed me and thanked me. I had no idea what their deal was till much later. So on with the show. I missed 4 of the next 6 practices with my own group. And we have a much bigger show in two months time. Most of the practices was spent on the older dancers and I feel the rest of us were left to fend for ourselves. At some point Marc became involved and I helped him prepare as much as I could till it was...show time.

I was born a shy boy. One day I decided I wasn't going to be shy anymore. I studied acting. I became a dancer. The last company I joined was as an actor and 15 years later I'm an OG dancer.

KP committed for 5 dances. I committed for a lot more. The show lasted 4 hours. I figure 30mins of dancing, 30 mins of acting...and about 3 hours of ad libbing. My lasting thought of that night was," I didn't know there was dialogue in this scene, LETS GO." Usually when I stroll out on a stage, I know exactlly what I'm doing. When I'm in the middle of a show and all I have to work with is a two line blurb describing the scene...and I stroll out anyways...I think I've conqured my fear, but I'm still very shy. The show must go on. That night I made it so. The cast hadn't seen the last half of the show at all. We basically made all that shite up. Marc, Me, Gina, made that shite happen. Unfortunatly it took 2 extra hours but mofo that scene made it.

I'm tired. This post will be published. I pledge to go forward and to go back. There is some chapter back in Europe that I want all yall to hear about. Right wiL? hehe.

Rhoel