Monday, April 24, 2006

How does it happen...

...that I get sick on the nicest day of the year so far?

Oh, really...???

When I was in New Jersey in the early 90's I went to visit my cousins in the burbs this one time when I first discovered the difference between Much Music and MTV. I always assumed they were the same thing and that they both sucked. My cousins were watching a marathon of something called "The Real World". I was like 'what the hell is that?' It was the year they were in LA. After like 3 episodes I was hooked. Not soon after I moved back to Surrey and I forgot all about the World.

Fast forward many years when our hero moves to Seattle and rediscovers his long lost love. It was season 9 in New Orleans. One of the girls that rented a room where I was staying was also a RW junkie. We'd make an evening of it. Tuesday nights they'd play like the previous 4 or so episodes and then tack on the newest at the end. We'd drink and talk about the show afterwards. During my time in Seattle I got caught up on Seattle and Hawaii, which turned out to be my two favorite seasons. And then I moved back to Van and forgot all about them again except for the infrequent and somewhat random airings of the past seasons on (Life?) channel. Aswell as the Road Rules/ RW challenges. I like Road Rules too.

About a month ago I found out that I have MTV Canada. OMG, how long have I had this? I'm just getting into Key West and so far it's not bad, but with the proliferation of reality shows this past half decade RW doesn't have the appeal that it once did. Maybe Key West just sucks. I'll give it more time before I pass judgment. Other shows I've discovered are 8th and Ocean and Laguna Beach. It's seems MTV, the forerunner of reality TV, is trying to create yet another new genre of pseudo reality or staged reality if you will. Where it seems to work with 8th, perhaps a lot has to do with the eye candy, with Laguna all I see is an over produced, poorly written annoyance. The pointless dialogue and bad acting are just too much to bare. Again, I shall give it more time. Perhaps if and when I get to know the characters better I'll have a different opinion. With 8th I kinda wanna punch Teddy in the face because he's way too cool for school.

If anyone knows where I can purchase RW Hawaii or Seattle on DVD let me know.

Rhoel.

-I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.-Steven Wright.