Wednesday, May 03, 2006

In My Life

There are places I'll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all...


I think of my blog as an online diary. Although I'm not naive enough to believe that my thoughts on here are for my eyes only I honestly don't care who else's eyes trip these pages because the exhbitonist in me knows that Big Brother is always watching and that one can ever take the pee out of the pool. A thousand years from now someone is going to Google a famous descendent of mine of the same name and dig up my long lost blog and read up on someone long since dead and buried. Perhaps my kids and grandkids can look me up and get to know me like how I was when I was alive. I would loved to have met my mom and dad, my great relatives, when they were growing up and making there way in the world today.

Everyone goes thru this world collecting memories and experiences. For some reason I remember things, odd little bits that mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of eternity. Even to me these little things probably amount to a 'a poor player strutting and fretting his hour on the stage'...but for some reason some things stay. And I want to get as many of them down as possible before I forget and my mental hard drive is purged forever. So let us begin.

During the early days of KP I didn't think I would last. It was so early in the game that we weren't even KP yet, we were Kababayan(g?) Pilipino still. Back then if one said KP I'd be thinking, "What's that some kind of fish? Fish bait?" I didn't think they were the type of ppl I'd build my life around. I thought they were snobby and elitest. They represented everything I was afraid of becoming. The only person I kind of knew was Nick, and that was only because he went out with a girl I went to school with. And the only time she talked of Nick was when things weren't so great. So my preconception of Nick was that he was a playa extrordinaire. I also knew Dinah A because she did a hip hop routine at a fashion show I did this one time. The only reason I remembered her was because she reminded me of a flip Paula Abdul. During the early days of KP we did this one epic camping in the Okanogan valley. A few things I remembered was Nick being stressed because he was the one that did the research online and all the places he booked and we visited weren't anywhere near suitable. I remember making a funny random joke about propane tanks painted like cow print. I remember how on the third day the Chinese bag soup was the best soup I ever tasted ever. I remember lots of drinking, or don't remember. I remember how we took over the campsite and it became KPstock. I remember piggy backing little Mimi from party to party because she was too drunk to walk and I was too drunk to realize I probably shouldn't be piggy backing anyone. There are a few more little things I remember.

I think that it was during that trip that I really started to become KP. At that point I had done a show already, but I still felt like an outsider. It was that trip that I first started making personal connections. Dinah A was worried her bf Ken would get lost. He was a few hours behind the main group, I think he was with the group coming with Jeff L. that worked late that night. She was worried because we were in the 15th nameless random campsite in a nameless random city, and that he was trying to find a needle in a haystack following super vague instructions. She was distressed because nobody wanted to come with her to the supposed rondevous spot. So I decided to come with. Most of the dialogue of the next 2 hours really didn't matter. Most of what I remember was how worried she was, completely leaning on someone she barely knew. I remember thinking that in my lifetime I had never been that worried for someone. Mostly it was like watching a documentary of something that was so alien to me that every moment was completely fascinating. Of course as soon as Ken showed up all her worries melted away and were forgotten, as she brushed past me and pulled him down the road. But I remember. Not the details of course. In fact it may not even have been Ken and Dinah. Now that I think of it, it may have been Jeff and Gillian (actually that makes more sence). It may even be ppl I've completly forgotten and I may even be confusing different camping trips. The only thing I can be 100% sure of was that it was hella hot, that I needed another beer and that circa nineteenninetyforgotten we didn't use the word 'hella'. For some reason I'll probably never ever realize I'll never forget that day.

Rhoel.

...for people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life...The Beatles


Or according to the legendary uncle Fernando Valdes, The BeatLess.