Friday, September 29, 2006

Trying to keep count.

The third day was a day of firsts,... a few singles, too many, a number 1, a second, and a fifth.

KP has entered the building. Day 3 would be our first performance in Festivalhal. When I first dropped off my stuff at the hall the first night I saw the set still undressed. The stage was very impressive with two ramps leading onto the only openings in the corners. The magicians had their own stage and entrance. The light structure and sound/lighting booth set up looked very impressive. Our change room...not so impressive. It was like an elementary school change room. It was like having all our stuff in the hallway outside of our dance studio at Scotia. So of course we expanded our territory to include the massive shower room. If you peeked into the other countries change rooms you see orderly presentation of their only costume and everyone lounging around. With us if you peek in you see a mass of boxes, costumes, luggage and ppl all over the place. It's like they packed our change room so tightly that it all burst into the shower room on the other side. Apparently we had a large change room upstairs but I never even went upstairs the entire time in Edegem. I still have no idea what it was like up there. The shower room of course had motion detector sensors and during the first day I backed into one and my costumes got rained upon. As I hopelessly tried to block the flow with my hands all hell broke loose as everyone scrambled to save their own costumes and I hear a voice from across the way,"Um...move your stuff!" Lucky my water proof Pandango outfit was on top and it curtailed any further damage. That day marked the opening day of the Festival. It also marked the birth of Pam's "dancing for singles(money)". "UM! One Dollar! UM! One dollar for you! UM! One for you!" It marked the return of Kathy. It marked the birth of Jenilee's Miss Pill-A-Pines walk/wave/curtsy for the opening ceremonies. Our first Bastos sighting, and our first group outing to the Pita Palace (Millennium Pita) unofficial caterer to KPBT '06. It also signaled the beginning of KP's Quest for the poster. Every year a new poster is produced and displayed on a wall of honour featuring a group from the previous year and KP endeavored to be so immortalized. So let it begin.

The opening day we got to practice on the stage for the first time. Our first performance of the day was for the Press con. I honestly can't remember that performance but I know we danced Malong and Blit. In the evening we watched Marc, Vince and Jenilee represent at the opening ceremonies and we got our first glimpse of the 'competition' as we wathed the first half and then we closed the first day with Variations A. I'm telling you they didn't know what hit them. With every other country performing happy go lucky dances I think we basically mugged the crowd with Variations A. In the words of Mitch, "I thought I knew what to expect but I didn't know you'd kill someone! Dang!"

That third day was a night of many firsts. KP sang in the shower all together. The first night we partially destroyed the stage while we brought the house down...for the first time. The first party on the side area of the stage for the performers and festival workers. The first real Kriek session at the bar at the back of the hall. We saw how those crazy Europeans line dance badly (and according to Pam dance badly in general). I also think it's the night Sicily decided they would try to compete with us.

It was the second day I had a nice conversation with Alasa. From now on I'm going to assume her name was actually Alissa. And by conversation I mean having Claudio translate back and forth till he got tired and left us to stare at each other.

Day 3, My differential beer count is aprox 5 I tried a Trappist that night. So FYI, Kriek, Kwak, Whitehal? (white beer, yuk), and another I can't remember from the previous night. I think I'll forget about trying to remember the names.

Rhoel.