Monday, August 02, 2004

This is a little story I wrote for the next edition.

In the shadow on an idol.

"Give me the beat boys and free my soul I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away..."

On the eve of Rock and Roll theme week on Canadian idol I'm preparing for another anxious filled 24 hours that starts Weds night and stretchs till the votes are fiinaly read. This will be my third show and the past three weeks I've been watching from the wings as the world learns to adore my cousin Elena Juatco. The adoration comes from her official fan club, the Eleniacs, from her friends from Queens University, her familly and of course all of those Canadians that are burning up the phone lines voteing for her.

From the point of view of the studio audience one gets caught up in the addictive energy. You can feel it with each and every one of your sences. With groups chanting and singing support for their chosen idols both in the studio and outside the theatre. Seeing the fear and nerves of the close familly and friends of the idols. Watching fans react while being serinaded by the 8 remaining contestents. Reading in the Idols faces first fear, then relief and then tear up when one more of their own is eliminated. These things I think get lost or filtered when viewed on TV making this one of the best experiences of my life.

For my three weeks here in Toronto I've been learning about my new cousin, not the old one that I used to play with on familly occasians, but the dedicated superstar in the makeing. Watching her on stage one sees the final product of literally weeks of preperation. On the few moments she has to her self or the few moments she has time to answer her phone, or the few hours she gets to spend with us Thursday nights; you can sence the toll it's takeing on her physically, emotionally and mentally. From the moment they get up they check the giant schedual bored and all they see are interviews, practices, meetings, or publisity outings for the shows. With so many people wanting a small peice of her or a minute of her time that dosn't leave much of herself for herself. On top of that these past two weeks she can't even utter a complete sentence without caughing. Through all this I've never seen or heard one complaint and I've never seen her stop smiling. The joy in her eyes when she's singing or signing autographs hours after the shows tells you that there isn't another place on the planet she'd rather be.

This coming week is "Rock and Roll" week for the Idols and from what I here get ready for something really truely exceptional from Elena. Speaking of themes did you notice the moon masked man and the girl in the silver body suit? Every week Elena advances her friends also have a theme. Last week was "Elena is out of this world!" hence the space costumes. This coming week the theme is "Canada has a fever and the only cure is more Elena Juatco!". Look out for the cow bells in the crowd this week! Don't forget to vote and she wants to hear cowbells all across canada! Elena thanks all of you with all her heart!

"Day after day I'm more confusedThen I look for the light through the pourin' rainYou know, that's a game, that I hate to lose I'm feelin' the strain..." Drift Away, Dobie Gray.

Rhoel Juatco.