Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Season in Review

Now that the 'high' of the show is now in the 'crash' phase I think I've pondered enough on the season that was. Since I'm pretty much brain damaged and can't remember what I had for breakfast (didn't eat anything today yet) a lot I may miss out so feel free to add to the pile. (or even create your own pile).

This year started out with a lot of potential. For the first time in forever we had as many guys as girls, and more...girls...than guys. I remember those first workshops when Randy was working with a group downstage left, Kathy a group ds right and the guys working in the back. It was beautiful chaos and no unutilized space. It's not only the amt of new dancers, it was the quality. Marc teaches hip hop, the dude with the weird hat dances ballet, Percy...had the right bod, and Mondo already had a tour under his belt. There were a few others that eventually stopped coming but thankfully most stayed. There were a few new girls too. Lorie, a kper by association finally signed up.

A common discussion amongst the more senior dancers that off season was that a lot of the small polish type things had been negligent the past little bit. I wouldn't go so far as saying 'sloppy' but it seems a lot of the 'crispness' had drifted. Precision. Learning and teaching on the run sort of thing. I think with a veteran core that had been together for so long and the scarcity of recruits over the past 5 years previous we'd become somewhat laxed, assuming everyone was on the same page all the time. So with the 10 year anniversary Likha reunion on the books I got the feeling that the name of the game for this year was quality, not quantity. And as usual I pledged myself to be more involved in the polishing of dances, a pledge I soon forgot the moment I became busy...as usual.

Looking back at our line-up and with Likha doing half the dances I see that this was a unique opportunity and the ambition wasn't to learn an entirely new suite as per usual, but to take what we already know and do well and do it better. This was fine at first but towards the middle of the process I started having this fear that we were on cruise control, that there was a general lack of any sense of urgency. I had this fear because I had the feeling that I was the worse offender. Knowing the senior dancers as I do I knew that this wasn't so much a problem because I know they can pretty much flip a switch and be in stage mode, I also trust that each of them will be ready in time. I think the real fear was that we were setting a bad example for the younger dancers. I think I tried to remedy this by sticking my face into everything and being all huffy and puffy for a couple of weeks but all I think I did was become annoying so I killed that pretty quick. Besides, I got busy again and totally forgot about all that soon after.

As it turns out all is well. I read a few comments from the Likha blogs that apparently we were on the ball and sharp even during the rehearsals. Which is really good to hear. My biggest fear stems back from when our groups first met when we thought we were ready till we saw their first practice and realized that we were woefully unprepared.

Normally at this point I'd present my winners for my made up categories but brainstorming with wiL it was decided that they would be presented in the forum to be voted upon by you the viewers to decide who is the next KPidol.

Rhoel.