Monday, June 13, 2005

The Wizard

I think the only time it feels real is the moments before the opening curtain. I think that's the only time I'm actually aware of everything in the universe. Everyone in their spot and in costume. I always take a moment to look at everyone individually trying to absorb everything. A few lucid moments before I loose my mind. This world and the real world separated by a velvet curtain.

My build up to the show was the same as always. I thought with no solo's this year that it would be a more relaxed experience that I could enjoy and appreciate in the moment. But that my friend was not to be. Weeks worth of sleepless nights thinking about the show. Waking up every hour because I'm so anxious and excited on the days leading up. Spending every spare moment having fun with our Likha friends. Mentally visualizing my every step on and around the stage. I think that the process stops right before the opening curtain. I think this year it took me two days to physically recover and mentally I'm still having a hard time concentrating on things for more than a few hours at a time. For instance this is my third bash at this blog entry. But after all is said and done, I figure I'll take a week off and be a bum and I'm ready to start on next year!!!

It was so hot performing with like this year. I love seeing another group work, getting new ideas on how to do things, seeing how other ppl prepare. The Lika girls I still don't have right. There's Casey, there's Cassy (which one is related to Christian I still don't know, it's not the one with the lip piercing but which one is she I'm not sure), there's 4 of this name, 3 of those, Oh wait you all changed into different cloths so I have to start again. I'm so confuzzled!!! I think that 'getting to know you' ice breaker from Sat overheated my brain, wait I need a beer to bring down the operating temp. Shanna Lou I know, Casey is lip ring, Cassy (Cassandra) is Christian's 15 year old sister right? Who's the 26 year old one...???? Argh!!!! Anyways...

Thurs was fun day with Likha. I got to meet new ones and got to better know the ones we met before. BTW I was NOT hogging baby Isaac, as soon as requested I passed him along. Riding in the car with the one and only Manok, Eman, Brian...and one more...was pure comedy. I haven't laughed so hard in my life. The hi-light was Manok's rendition of our national anthem. Robson was...Robson, but the party at Kathy's was fun. Celebs was fun till I turned around and everyone had suddenly left. How do 40 ppl sneak out from behind me??? I want poutine too, wait for me!!!

Friday kinda seemed like an extension of Thurs, well considering that I barely slept may have something to do with it. Getting a hold of Iris was interesting. A lost cell phone and a 12am call time can easily turn into a Mr Bean routine. Lets see, I call Iris and leave a msg. Melissa M calls me then calls Iris. Randy calls me. Iris texts Randy who then calls me telling me to go online to IM Iris. Hi Iris! All was well, that is considering she got in 10 mins previous and got a solid hour of sleep and was still hungover from her grad. The performance for the consulate was a nice warm up to the show. I was having Vogue theatre flash backs with those non-existent wings and I apologize to the girl I almost body checked into the percussion instrumentalists during one of the BLACK-outs.

Saturday was covered my most of the others on their blogs, but a few things that only I may have seen. For one, the surest way to give ones partner a heart attack is to constantly wait till two seconds before you have to go on before you nonchalantly make your appearance on the wings. Geri, if you're my partner again we're going to have to do something about that. I think we should tape reflectors on the little kids to stop them from being run over. Joey is convinced that there's a ghost of a girl in the girls (pink) bathroom that was talking to him. Note to first set Sinkil clapper girls: the cloth goes over, not thru my face and when it's stuck no amount of pulling will help disloge it. I want to know who helped me tie my bahug. That fucker was so tight that my nuts almost became diamonds for crying out loud and I couldn't get the mop/hip thing in! The best I could do was maybe 3 or 4 strings and I pulled it all the way thru. It was then I realized that it was all tied up in my g-string and that I had a quick change right after. While I was dancing I was mentally trying to track down my sissors just in case I had to cut off the g and go commando the rest of the half!

I'd like to take a moment to thank all of the Likhettes, Kuya Jun and Kuya Rudy. This is such a great experience and performing with you guys just enhances everything. Ledge, Ed, Big Sexy, Mur thanks for the dedication and friendship thru out the years. Kpeeps and Randy, thanks for being my family and best friends and the only constants in my world.

The Wizard

Sitting in my seat the house lights now dim,
time for the spectecle to begin.
For two hours I am swept away from my life,
and am transported to a world of movement, music,
costumes and light.
As a witness to wonders upon wonders
where miricles abound.
Its easy to be inclined to assume
what I hear and see.
And that it is natural to astound.
To take for granted that magic isn't common.
But if I looked more closely as I watched
or listen more intently as I heard,
I'd know to pull back the curtain
on either side
to see the ideas, courage and heart
that make this illusion real.

Rhoel