Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Dream Sequence No. 1

Chocolate Cake and eat it too.

MERCUTIO
True, I talk of dreams;
Which are the children of an idle
brain,

And boy has my brain been idle. When I moved to Surrey last month I found a book that I acquired and subsequently forgot about called "Remembering and Understanding Your Dreams". I haven't read it yet because it has about 3 books ahead of it on my 'to do' list. I used to keep a dream log, there were certain techniques I used to use to remember dreams and then I'd write them down in great detail as soon as I awoke. I haven't been doing it for a while because I never had the knowledge to properly interpret them, probably the reason I had bought the book in the first place. And lately I haven't been remembering my dreams, but I did this morning.

I won't go into great detail because I was only able to scribble a few notes on my way out this morning, and because I don't think they're necessary here.

A lot of my dreams take place in enormous empty buildings. Sometimes so huge that I can't see the ceilings or ends of the rooms or halls. This time it was a school. And there was a buffet style set up outside of a giant swimming pool. At the buffet I kept walking by and grabbing and greedily eating 3-4 pieces of rich chocolate cake at a time; and I went back so many times. Eventually it was time to play water polo and I was kicking some major booty. I was like a dolphin amongst buoys. Soon after it was time to go home, but I couldn't remember my schedule and realized I hadn't been going to class for a couple of weeks. Then I couldn't remember the combo to my locker so I just went home without my stuff. Then I woke up. The school, sched and locker things are common in my dreams but the water polo and cake were new.

I haven't read the book yet, but I was able to look up some of the symbols:

Building: nothing I read is relevant other than the psychological meaning (PM)of a building is of ones self. Mystical meaning (MM)of a large building thou means the coming of positive changes.

School: PM. Unresolved childhood insecurities. Or a metaphor for what one is learning from life over a long period carrying a feeling of nostalgia. MM. Business setbacks if one dreams of forgetting ones lessons.

Cake: PM. Something divided between many ppl. Not getting ones fair share.

Eating: Freud-eating is closely associated with sexuality. Gorging may indicate indulgent sexuality. Eating may symbolizes qualities one is making part of ones self.

Water: PM. Feelings and emotions. Nature of the water can reveal emotional state. (turbulent water=turbulent emotions)

Swimming: PM Expanses of water symbolizes the unconscious. Swimming shows trust and support of the unconscious.

Locker: I couldn't find anything. But under 'box' I found that it's the container of ones psyche. The act of opening being a symbol of spiritual exploration.

I can see how a lot of this applies to me almost immediately. But certain things, like the locker or box I've struggled with for a while. I actually consider myself a very spiritual person even if I don't really believe in god (any god). And forgetting my locker combo(stopping me from opening) and schedule, wtf is that? Obviously there's parts of my psyche I haven't dealt with yet. Anyways, brain hurts. Later folks. Rhoel.