Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Are you a man or a superman?

Superman never made any money
For saving the world from Solomon Grundy
And sometimes I despair the world will never see
Another man like him-Crash Test Dummies.

RIP Christopher Reeve. Millions of ppl die everyday and it's buisness as usual, yet the world stops when someone famous dies. Did you know him? Did you ever meet him? Have you at the very least see him with your own eyes? This past weekend was Canadian Thanksgiving. My fondest memories of this holiday was of my Tita Lina. Every TG our familly would gather at her house and celebrate. Every year it was always the same, and i loved every single one; up until the year she died. How about some personal history? My Tita Lina was the oldest of the Juatco clan on our branch, she went to Michigan State Uni studying medicine and was set to settle in Detroit where she had many leads on building her life. One holiday she traveled to Toronto where she fell in love with Canada. She moved to toronto immidiatly after graduation where the promises for a life quickly evaporated and as a last resort ended up in Vancouver. Political unrest and martial law forced a mass migration of her activist brothers and ultimatly my entire familly here, following their oldest sister. She was the glue that held our familly together. In 1996 she was burried in her wedding dress right beside her husband, my tito Willey, with whom she stayed faithfull to for over 11 years.

In the almost decade since I don't think we've had the whole familly together. I remember the huge turkey, the giant ham. I remembered she used beer as a flavouring for one of her recipies and that the brand of beer she used happenens to be the brand that I drink today and how we'd share the other 5 beers watching football. She loved the Detroit Lions or the Michigan State Spartans, God forbid if The Lions played the Seahawks or the Spartans played the Huskies. The holidays havn't been the same since then. No more weeklong sleepovers from Christmas eve to NewYears day. No more Uncle Larry in the Den having a snore war with Uncle Bob in the attic. With all the kids up for 3 days strait playing Nintendo or putting on skits and dance routines for the old ppl. Now a days, it's just lucky if all of us are in the same city, not that' we'd know it.

I just poured a little Molson Dry for my tita Lina, shite I'm in the house and I just poured it on the counter in the office. OOps I must be drunk.

It may sound absurd...but don’t be naive
Even heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed...but won’t you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream
It’s not easy to be me-five for fighting.

RIP tita Lina, thank you for my life as I know it. I almost grew up in Detroit. Rhoel.