Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Really Bad Movies.

I noticed a lot of ppl have been writing about movies lately. Which is great 'cause I love watching movies and collecting DVD's. I pretty much like almost every movie I've seen, different degrees of like, but still a movie has to suck pretty bad for me not to have liked it. Most ppl seem to be polarized, either they really like it or really hate it. I can walk outta a pretty bad movie and still find myself entertained whilst everyone else around me seems mildly upset about this or that. What I really like is finding a movie, or old DVD, that I've never heard about and then really enjoying it. It's almost as good as finding money. BTW, don't get me wrong, I'm probably more observant (I wouldn't say critical because I know that things like bad acting could be caused by a bad director and is therefore somewhat forgivable)than most when it comes to movies and I do recognize a bad movie for what it is.

If a bad movie has any one of or combination of:
-a hot chick, regardless of acting ability.
-a hot chick that gets nude.
-an alien(s).
-guns.
-a zombie(s).
-space ships.
-hot cars.
-a cool bad guy.
-bad guy gets away.
-bad guy gets away with the money.
-guy gets the girl.
-interesting visuals or cinimetography.
-a screenplay based on a good novel, regardless of the quality of the screenplay.
-one of my favorite actors/actress.

...That's a pretty broad pallet so I will probably find entertainment value.

What I hate in a movie:

-unnecessarily killing off the hot girl, this goes double if it's within the closing moments of the movie.
-when the bad guy looses the money, especially those scenes when the money somehow gets scattered and a bunch of extras start hallin it in.
-The dumb blond girl with the big boobs that manages to fall down right when the werewolf/slasher/dinosaur/alien etc shows up. It's surprising how often this occurs.
-when a nice car gets thrashed. My hero James Bond seems to do this with regularity, but it's ok because it's kinda expected of him.
-when a potentially good movie has too many ppl putting in their two cents and what you end up with is a big pile of shite.

...But even when these happen there is most likely some other redeeming aspect that insures entertainment value.

But what I find unforgivable in a movie is when one of the characters, usually (always) a chick, risks her life and the lives of the others to save a stupid cat or dog. In the Last 24 hours I've watched two movies where this occurred. Dawn Of the Dead remake, excellent movie...Right until the cute girl steals one of the getaway cars to try to save some dog that's surrounded by a million zombies. Still a great flick, I like it as much if not more than the original. Alien, (my bro bought the quadraligy), at the point of the climax Ripley leaves the relative safety of the lifeboat to look for her cat. If she hadn't have looked for the cat she could have killed the alien and not have to have destroyed the Nostromo (main ship) (thou the succeeding movies wouldn't have been the same if this were to occur). Still are there really ppl out there like this? "Thank god the dinosaur ate everyone but me, so I'm going back out there to look for my dog." Sheesh!!!!

Rhoel.