Monday, June 12, 2006

Man on the Moon.

Hey, Andy did you hear about this one? Tell me, are you locked in the punch?
Hey Andy are you goofing on Elvis? Hey, baby. Are we losing touch?


Wow, long time no read. First before I forget Congrats to Mr. and Mss Jenilee and Jamille's parents for their 25th anniversary. That was one rockin party. Who knew that Mr. Jenilee and Jamilles dad was so funny! 3 shows and a practice in 48 hours. A little taste of what's to come in Belgium me thinks. Actually it was probably only about 40 mins of actual dancing, 4 hours of practice, and about 5 hours of waiting in those 48.

I recently purchased and watched Man on the Moon and in a word, brilliant. I'd had forgotten how good that movie was. That was Jim Carey's role of a life time. In fact what I found hilarious was my mom thought the movie stared Andy Kaufman.

-I'm like...you know he's (most likely) dead right?
-Well then who is that?
-Jim Carey...

And with that she continued to think that Jim was Andy. If any of you are not familiar with the movie it documents the life and times of Andy Kaufman of Taxi fame. I loved Taxi. I even remember the day I heard that he had died, I was riding in the car and I heard it on the radio. Without going to much into it I have to say that Kaufman was so far ahead of his time that I'm sure that he faked his own death as to give everyone else a chance to catch up. The best moment was right before the closing scene when a bald Kaufman is in the Phils looking for a miracle cure and starts laughing hysterically when he realizes that this time the joke is on him. Don't miss the special features section on the DVD. This is easily on my top 5 fav list now.

Some interesting tid bits I found on my obsessive google of the late Andy Kaufman:
-The "Friday's" producer is the person that the character of George Custanza is based on. The actor that got the water thrown on him is the dude that plays Cosmo Kramer (Michel Richards?).
-He was one of history's first Elvis impersonators. They weren't even doing it in Vegas yet.
-Some of his family and friends wouldn't be surprise if he's still alive. At his funeral half the ppl still thought it was some kind of joke and were waiting for him to make an appearance and start laughing. His body was poked more than a few times at the viewing.
-The scene at the end of the movie where Tony Clifton is performing on stage with Bob Zmuda watching from the crowd was purely fictional and never happened (unless it did...)

Speaking of Vegas, I purchased and watched seasons 1 and 2 these past two weekends. I love that show.

Rhoel Kaufman.

If you believed they put a man on the moon, man on the moon.
If you believe there’s nothing up my sleeve, then nothing is cool. REM