Thursday, November 25, 2004

Planes...

When I landed back in Vancouver I realized that on both the initial as well as the return flight that nobody started clapping or hootin' and hollaing when the plane touched down. Amazing considering there were 10 times more ppl then the PR flight... When I was in Edmonton I got sick and all week I've been as sick as a sick dog that is really sick. The week I was there all I did that resembled exercise was the few brisk walks in the mall as I shopped. And being sick all week I'm getting kinda restless. I wanna go for a run but I don't want to aggravate what ails me.

Trains...

Reading about Cristina's irrational fear of birds and how it happened reminds me how I used to have an irrational fear of train tracks. When I was about 8 we lived in Port Moody and my whole family used to hold it's gatherings at some park that you had to cross rail road tracks between the parking lot and park. It used to scare the hell outta me and bothered me that I was the only one that seemed scared. One summer I decided to face my fear and I waited for a train to pass. While I was waiting I put a coin on the tracks. I got a huge rush when the train passed and when I showed the squished coin to my bothers they thought it was so cool and asked me to make them one. As I waited for the train to pass with some new coins I got bored and eventually fell asleep against the fence separating the tracks and the parking lot. I was awaken bye a giant rush of air and noise as the giant train surged past me. The day I conquered my fear was the day it elevated to a new level. Fast forward many moons. I was driving with my youngest brother one night and we were arguing about something. And like the stupid character in a b movie I was so distracted that I didn't notice that I was parked on a set of railroad tracks. Funny how those things actually do happen in real life. Suddenly this giant light was baring down on us and all the two of us could do was start screaming. It seemed so close and it seemed to take forever to smash into us. The train was parked on the side of the road and it merely turned it's light on. Our screaming turned into hysterical laughter. That was the day I finally conquered my fear. I always think of that night when I see a train or tracks.

Automobiles...

Have you ever bought something that wasn't exactly what you wanted, but it was so cheap that you bought it anyways, probably never using it and buying what you really wanted a few days later? Well I do that a lot. But blowing 50 bucks on green Puma's last Christmas in NY then forgetting to pack them for the trip home isn't really a big deal. But what if the thing you're looking for is really expensive and you're pretty much guaranteed to own and use it extensively for at least the next 5 years if not forever? I've been looking into buying another car. My brother has been tracking one down for me and in the meantime I test drove one that was the wrong colour and didn't have a few of the options I was looking for. It was in probably my least favorite colour but it did have some options that I really want but thought I could live without (It's a track model with more performance oriented options) So my bro calls me up, he's found the exact car I specified...but they're getting rid of the blue one at a price I can't refuse. Apperently I can't refuse so I suppose blue isn't such a bad colour after all...Rhoel.