Sunday, July 10, 2005

Paranoid Android

In the beginning mass media was a dude (or dudette) painting on a wall. A few sleeps later it's 24 hours a day live up to the second on location as it happens type of world. Anything of significance that happens anywhere on this planet, I'll know about it by the time I've done with my breakfast. How famous would say...Billy the Kid be if I lifted his image off of a surveillance camera after his first kill, produced a computer simulation of his likeness instantly distributed EVERYWHERE, tracked him down with a live satellite feed, drove out there in my armoured hummer at night with my starlite night vision dressed in kevlar body armour and apprehended him using pepper spray and some plastic zip restraints. History would ask "Billy the who?"

I don't remember where I was going with this...

So I finished reading the first book of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Funniest damn book I've read in a very long time. I'm a movie junky. It takes a pretty crappy movie for me not to have in some way enjoyed myself. I also like reading books, again one of my favorite things is to read a really bad novel every once in a while. I haven't read all the classics, I mean I own books like Mobey Dick but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Call me Ishmail. Probably the most famous opening line in literature. That's as far as I've gotten with that book. Like when someone tries to impress me by quoting Chaucer or something, I don't know what you're talking about so how is that supposed to impress me? I also love books that have become movies. Some of my favorite books have become movies. Usually the movie sucks ass and somehow taints the book. Sometimes a movie somehow captures the essence of the book (I find this happening more frequently now a days, better screen writers perhaps). Most of the time I'll see the movie first and then hunt for the book like in a used book store that has a beat up copy of book 3 in the series that he'll let you have for 15 bucks. I'd rather see the movie first anyways to enjoy both, instead of enjoying a book then dreading the movie afterwards. Like eating all the crappy bits on your plate before finishing off the good stuff.

I was lucky enough to find a new hard cover compilation of all the Hitchhiker books (with a bonus new short storey) for like 15 bucks (with discount) at Blackbond books. I've never so enjoyed every page of a book before. I only read 2-3 pages per sitting so I could savour and enjoy every joke and avoid joke overload in the process. And I'm glad to say that the movie was just as enjoyable but I'm still glad I read the book after. I wanna watch the movie again. Then in a few days I'll read book two. Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Stay tuned.

Rhoel.

-BTW paranoid android was a line from the Book 'Hitchhikers' that was used as a title for a song and album from Radiohead. If you told me that I probably would have been impressed.

-Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't following me.-