Thursday, July 07, 2005

Third eye blind.

Insane. Information overload. I'm away from the computer for a few days and suddenly there's a couple of hours worth of blog entries to catch up on. It's like a monumental task I don't want to start at this particular moment.

Whenever I chill with my youngest brother and his wife they always seem to have the same circus of ppl partying around them. They're all interesting and fun ppl and very divergent in personalities. One of the faces in the crowd is this dude Cristo.

Cristo is among other things a psychic.

When I was in school way back, you know one of those times between majors, I had taken a few semesters of philosophy. I don't remember much of what I learned in school but I remember this one discussion we had about predetermination vs free will, essentially what it comes down to is that one can't have both. Either (god) or something greater has a pre written plan for you and you are merely an actor performing a script, or you are a creature of free will makein your own decisions and essentially write your own destiny. This is a somewhat simplistic view of the sides to the discussion but what it kept coming back to was that you can't have both. I think one of the reasons I remember this discussion is that I do believe in both, I don't know how logical that is but on one hand I believe there is a grand design for my life that I as yet do not understand or see, contol is an illusion, (may be echoes of a catholic upbringing as is the disclaimer that God helps those that helps themselves) and on the other hand I believe that my future is yet to be determined and that I have control of my life. I believe control is not an illusion. I have faith that I will be placed exactly where I need to be and what I do when I arrive is ultimately up to me.

Now if someone has the ability to tell me my future...do I want to know?

I'm sure that a lot of what a psychic says involves a lot of psychology, a lot of insight into human behaviour, a lot of telling ppl what they want to hear, a lot of vague phrases that can be interpreted this way or that. But I've seen enough to believe that there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,than are dreamt of in your (my) philosophy.

I often relate my life as a really bad novel, or as a B-rated (lately very G-rated) movie of which I am the protagonist (who on occasion does antogonistic things). When I'm reading a book do I go and skip ahead or read the ending? No. When I go to the theatre I actually avoid watching the movie clips and avoid discussions about movies I haven't seen yet because when I step into that theatre I want no expectations. I just want the experience that was intended by the director or writer...of in this case my bad novel or B-movie.

Rhoel.

-I don't mind G-rated movies as long as there's a lot of sex and violence-Elvira, mistress of the dark.